|WWE Elite Legends
|WWE Elite Legends > Mattel
Mattel took over the license to produce WWE action figures in January 2010, ending Jakks Pacific’s 14 year run as the creator and distributor of WWE Toys. One of the more successful lines Jakks produced were the Classic Superstars line, which had seen a large portion of wrestling’s stars from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Hoping to pick up where the Classic Superstar line had left off, Mattel tried to start hot with collectors. How would they entice collectors to make the jump from their large Classic Superstars collections into collecting a completely new line of Legends figures? Their answer was the WWE Legends Line (2010-2011) in Elite figure form.
Designers at Mattel took a different approach. Obviously, the figures. They were released in Elite style, which meant extra articulation, better scaling, and better detail. Instead of re-releasing Legends in attires that had been made in the CS assortments, Mattel found a different way with their Legends figures. Legends Series 1 included Animal and Hawk in their NWA attires, Dusty Rhodes in the WWF polka dots, Slaughter in his AWA attire, Steve Austin with cloth shirt & vest, and Ricky Steamboat. This was a great strategy, with the exception of Dusty Rhodes, these attires hadn’t been effectively done by Jakks.
More exclusives would follow, but first at Toys R Us, where they had their own line of Legends 2 Packs. The Bushwhackers, Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff, Bob Orton & Roddy Piper were included in the first series. For whatever reason, these were not a hit and were quickly on clearance. A cancelled series 2 was planned to include The Rockers, and The Von Erich’s, but low sales halted those plans. While some collectors were thrilled with the new selection, collectors were burnt out and did not want to invest in buying a new style of figures when the previous line had been so encompassing.
The line began to lose steam. Series 6 was the final series produced. It included Eddie Guerrero, 2 versions of Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich, and The Ultimate Warrior.
Series 7 of the Legends line was cancelled. It was going to include Andre the Giant, Diamond Dallas Page, Magnum TA, Arn Anderson, and Steve Austin. Not long after the line was cancelled, a poll was offered to collectors to see which figures they would like in Matty Collector’s Exclusive Shop. Exclusive to Mattyshop.com, these figures were released from November 2011 to September 2012. Included were Andre the Giant, Diamond Dallas Page, The Rockers, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, and King Kong Bundy. This would end the Legends line of figures, however classic legends style figures would still be available to collectors throughout the main Elite line.
Following the demise of the Legends line, the demand increased and figures sold for double-triple their retail prices. With demand high once again, Mattel began to distribute Legends figures in normal Elite series as "Flashbacks," beginning in 2012 with Kane and Papa Shango in Elite Series 12.
|Series - Printer Friendly Checklist
= Completed Series
Legends 2-Packs Series 1 ( 17 images) - Released: 2010
- Series Included: The Bushwhackers, Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff, Bob Orton and Roddy Piper. The Legends 2 Packs Series was exclusive to Toys R Us but was clearanced out due to very low sales.
Legends 2-Packs Series 2 (Unproduced) ( 11 images) - Released: 2010
- Series Included: The Von Erichs and The Rockers. This set was cancelled due to low sales of 2 Packs series 1.
Legends Hall of Fame Series 1 ( 16 images) - Released: 2010
- Series Included: Dusty Rhodes, Jimmy Snuka, Ricky Steamboat, Steve Austin, Terry Funk, and Sgt Saughter. This was a one-off series that was basically Legends Series 1 that most collectors found at K-Mart.
Mattyshop Legends Exclusives ( 16 images) - Released: 2011
- A poll was offered to collectors to see which figures they would like in Matty exclusive form. Exclusive to Mattyshop.com, these figures were released from November 2011 to September 2012. This was an attempt to pick up where the official Elite Legends series left off.
Ringside Collectables Exclusive ( 0 images) - Released: 2011
- For Ringside Exclusives go to click any of this text to get to WWE Exclusives under the Mattel Line
WWE Elite Defining Moments Series 1 ( 3 images) - Released: 2011
- Macho Man Randy Savage & Shawn Michaels
WWE Elite Defining Moments Series 2 ( 4 images) - Released: 2011
- The Rock & Ultimate Warrior
WWE Elite Defining Moments Series 3 ( 3 images) - Released: 2011
- Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat & Triple H
WWE Elite Defining Moments Series 4 ( 3 images) - Released: 2011
- Steve Austin & Undertaker
WWE Elite Defining Moments Series 5 ( 3 images) - Released: 2011
- Bret Hart & John Cena
WWE Legends Series 1 ( 58 images) - Released: 2010
- Animal, Hawk, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat, Sgt Slaughter, Steve Austin
WWE Legends Series 2 ( 79 images) - Released: 2010
- Iron Sheik, Jake Roberts, Jimmy Snuka, Kamala, Rick Rude, Terry Funk
WWE Legends Series 3 ( 85 images) - Released: 2010
- Brian Pillman, British Bulldog, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Mr Perfect, The Rock, Vader
WWE Legends Series 4 ( 58 images) - Released: 2011
- Ax, Smash, Ultimate Warrior, George The Animal Steele, Hillbilly Jim, Paul Orndorff
WWE Legends Series 5 ( 50 images) - Released: 2011
- Akeem, Bam Bam Bigelow, Macho Man Randy Savage, Rick Martel
WWE Legends Series 6 ( 57 images) - Released: 2011
- Eddie Guerrero, Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich, Texas Tornado, Ultimate Warrior
WWE Legends Series 7 (Unreleased) ( 0 images) - Released: 2011
- Cancelled. Andre the Giant and DDP were released as a Matty Exclusive, Magnum TA was released in the Lost Legends Series.